I would like to formally welcome Sylvia Sarkus as our new director who will be helping me in planning and organizing our club's monthly activities.
* We reviewed the book: How to do something about procrastination by Piers Steel. He explained procrastination stems from the lack of confidence and the need for instant gratification. So try to motivate yourself by seeing what others do and set specific and foreseeable investment goals.
* We briefly talked about the TFSA and the tax effects on capital gains.
Exciting Changes Ahead:
I am pleased to announce few additional changes to Ellen's Investment Club, namely the structure of our new agenda:
* The Member Stock Purchase Ice Breaker will now be replaced with "Financial Check In". This will allow a member who may not have purchased an equity in the past month to share his or her financial vision or concern and actively participate in club discussion.
* The Open Discussion near the end of the club will now include member feedback on next month's activities.
* We will implement an achievement system to award the most active participants in our club. How this works is we will assign tasks (various difficulties) surrounding the topics discussed in our club. The members who complete these tasks on time will earn points. The top ranked members will be awarded a gift at the end of the year (similar to Investopedia). Stay tuned for updates next month.
7:30 PM: Sign in and payment ($10)
7:45 PM: Financial Check In
8:20 PM: Book/Industry/Sector/Stock Review
8:50 PM: Investopedia Topic of the Month
9:00 PM: Open discussion (including member feedback)
9:30 PM: End
* The new Investopedia simulation is now up and running:
Game Name: Ellen Invest Feb 16
Game Password: ellen
The upcoming session will be helding on March 15, 2011 at 7:30pm in the Miles Nadal Jewish Community Centre (750 Spadina Ave). We will discuss the consequence of the TSX/LSE merger, review the Book: Paradox of Choice by Barry Schwarz and provide a demo on the Investopedia game. See you all there!